Love, Love, Love this dish! This Thai masterpiece is on pretty regular rotation here at our pad. It is super quick, healthful and packed full of exotic flavors.
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 T coconut oil
- 6 shallots, finely chopped (about 3/4-1 cup)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 T red curry paste
- 2 cups veg or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or coconut cream (use the full fat, from the can)
- salt and pepper for the fish
- 2-3 (6-ounce) pieces cod
- Steamed spinach, kale or arugula**
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 c green onion thinly sliced
- 2+ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-2 t asian cane or coconut sugar. Regular sugar or brown sugar will do in a pinch
- Pinch of chipotle pepper flakes
*Available in the Asian section of most supermarkets
**Steam or microwave 5 cups of washed baby spinach for 2 minutes
In a medium saute pan, heat the coconut oil and pepper flakes over moderate heat. Add the chopped onion and shallots and saute until soft, but not browned–about 5-7 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the veg broth, 2 T lime juice, coconut sugar, toasted sesame oil, and 1/2 c coconut milk.
Arrange the seasoned (salt and pepper) fish in the pan and squeeze lime juice over the fish. Gently shake the pan so the fish is coated with the sauce and continually spoon the sauce (with the shallots) over the top of the fish. Cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 7 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the fish!
Arrange a pile of steamed greens on top of mashed sweet potatoes and carrots. Top with the fish fillets. Leave the sauce in the pan. Turn up the heat and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, about 5-10 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings if needed. Ladle the sauce over the fish and top with the cilantro and green onions or browned and crispy shallots.