We had such a great dinner last night, I couldn’t wait publish this post to tell you all about it!
I found this recipe online a couple of days ago. A versatile, raw, dairy free, gluten free sauce–using just a few ingredients–the star of the sauce being raw cashews. Cashews are sweet, tender, and one of my very favorite nuts, EVER. I knew I had to make this one ASAP…and I did! The next day (yesterday), I got busy and whipped it together. It was so easy, I had it ready in no time.
We haven’t had pasta in quite a while, so I went with gluten free noodles, like we always do, to debut this sauce.
Initially, I was going to make a simple sauteed mushroom topper for the pasta and sauce, but after sampling the sauce, I noticed that it tasted a lot like a creamy, super rich pesto sauce. I decided I better go with sauteed veggies instead–heavy on sweet corn. That was a great decision. Check out the picture to see how beautiful this pasta was with all of the brightly colored veggies and the cool green sauce. Isn’t that fun?!
I hope this picture also makes you yearn for the smell and flavor of this dish. Both are HUGE in this lively pasta! You can adjust the seasoning for the veggies to suit your taste, I am sure just about anything would work here!
I don’t usually indulge in second helpings when it comes to pasta, but last night was an exception. I filled her up twice and had to contain myself from licking the bowl clean! I am not kidding!
I think this sauce would work great as a replacement for just about any cream or cheese sauce. I might try it on a veggie lasagna next. Doesn’t that sound good?
Until next time. Remember, you are what you eat, so make it GOOD!
Cashew, garlic, and kale sauce
- 2 c sprouted cashews (2 c raw cashews soaked in about 2 cups water for about 2 hours, then drain)
- 4 + cloves garlic
- 2 c organic baby kale mix (baby kale, spinach, beet greens, carrots)
- 1 t chipotle pepper flakes or more, to taste
- dash of freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- splash of lemon juice (optional)
- 1-2 c water, depending upon the consistency you need. Check out the picture. I used about 1 c of water.
Throw this all in a good blender or food processor and spin it until smooth. Adjust the seasonings as needed. Eat and enjoy or stick it in the fridge until you need it. It should last 5-7 days easily in the fridge.
Sauteed Veg Mix
- 1-2 T EVOO
- 1 t chipotle pepper flakes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small bag of organic, non-gmo frozen corn
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes, diced
In a small sauteed pan, add the EVOO and chipotle pepper flakes and warm over a med-low flame. Add the bell peppers and corn and cook until they start to soften–1-2 minutes. Add the corn and crushed garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes.
Gluten Free Veggie Pasta with cashew sauce
- 1 package of gluten free brown rice noodles, cooked according to package directions (al dente)
Mix about 1-1 1/2 c of the sauce with the drained noodles. Add the veggies and combine carefully so you do not tear up the noodles. Serve and enjoy!! XO