Why is fixing the broken gut important for my overall health?
Consider the following about the gastrointestinal system:
- The gastrointestinal system comprises 75% of the body’s immune system.
- Many neurotransmitters are made and stored in the gut. In fact, 90% of peripheral serotonin (imbalances resulting in depression) is produced in the gut.
- Poor gut health can suppress thyroid function.
- There are more neurons in the small intestine than in the entire spinal cord.
- It is the only system in the body that has its own, independently operating nervous system, called the enteric nervous system.
- If you stretched out the gastrointestinal system in its entirety, it would have the surface area of a regulation sized singles tennis court.
- There are over 400 species of microbes living in your gut, totaling over 15 pounds of mass and containing more bacteria than there are known stars in the sky.
There is so much suffice it to say, if the body allocates this many resources to one particular system, it must be important.
In fact, we should start treating our gut with care if we are interested in weight loss, muscle gain or overall health in general.
With this in mind, I will be hosting a 4 part series this fall, specifically to address and maximize the health of the gut.
Through the 4 day workshop we will be taking a close look at the gut, digestion/absorption, the immune system, and inflammation.
We will kick off the series with a detox to clear the body (and mind) of toxins and reduce inflammation. The detox will last 14 days. Don’t worry, you won’t feel hungry or be deprived of good foods and drinks during our time of cleansing.
It will be different. Simple. Fresh. Organic, and at the conclusion of the series, you will feel better!
The tentative schedule (subject to minor changes) is as follows: Classes will be 1-1.5 hours in length
- Saturday, September 12, 12 PM Gut health overview and Anti-inflammatory overview. Detox Kickoff.
- Sunday, September 13, 1 PM Anatomy and Physiology of GUT.
- Saturday, September 26, 12 PM Microbiome and disease. Allergies vs Intolerances.
- Sunday, September 27, 1 PM Be your own guide–How to structure your own eating plan to make it work for you!
If you want to attend this series, but can’t make all of the classes, don’t worry. I will record each session and make it available to you after the session ends.
To reserve your spot click this link to enroll. The fee for the series is $75 and is fully refundable through Sept 1. After September 1, the fees are non-refundable. If you are no longer able to or interested in attending the workshop, just reply to this email to let me know and I will take you off of the list. If for some reason a class has to be rescheduled, I will let you know with 24 hours notice.
After you register, you will receive an email or two from me prior to the class with some ‘to-do’s’ to get you ready for the detox and for the workshop…so look for those in your inbox early in September.
In the meantime, chew on this article! This is big news! Modern, western, medicine is opening its eyes to the power of our ‘third’ brain, ie our GUT.
Enjoy the upcoming weekend and let me know if you have any question or concerns!