This rice dish KILLS me! It is so incredibly delicious and the leftovers (if you actually have any :)) make a great ‘morning after’ breakfast or lunch! We usually use this rice with our Thai Curry Cod Recipe, but it is a fantastic accompaniment with almost any Thai/Asian dish.
Coconut-Cilantro Rice Pilaf:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 t chipotle pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 cups long-grain white rice or brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon + ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons + chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, hot pepper, and black pepper cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the rice and coconut milk and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and lime juice– bring to a light boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 22 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let sit 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, stir in the cilantro. Enjoy alone or topped with your favorite tofu, fish or chicken recipe.