There are so many great alternatives to mashed potatoes, I replaced them long ago here at 488 with rice, quinoa, and/or mashed cauliflower–depending upon what best suited the dish or meal. Recently, I have started pumping up the mashed cauliflower to provide not only more important nutrients, but more color and FLAVOR! The carrots, with just a hint of sweetness, pairs well with many of the herbs that I like to add to the cauliflower mash–rosemary, thyme, dill, basil, oregano, mint! This colorful mash provides such a nutrient advantage over the traditional mashed pot, it won’t be just your tongue that is thankful for the change! Give them a try the next time mashed potatoes are on your dinner menu or just on your mind!
Cauliflower and carrot mash
- 1 head of cauliflower, separated into pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled or 3/4 c baby carrots
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 T butter or olive oil. Optional, depending upon your preference. They taste fine without the fat, so you can leave it out if that better suits your dietary needs.
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- chipotle pepper flakes. Optional
- Fresh chopped herbs. Optional
Steam the cauliflower, carrots, and 3 cloves of garlic in a steamer basket for 20 or so minutes, until very soft. Place in food processor or use your mixer to puree with the butter (or oil), salt, peppers, and herbs (optional) until smooth. Crush the last two cloves of garlic into the mash and stir it well. Serve nice and hot!