An easy weekday dish! Great for breakfast–reheated like hash with a couple of eggs cooked soft on top. Absolutely delish!
Spicy Chickpea Crockpot Curry
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon + fresh grated ginger
- 1-2 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped (I buy this pre-chopped in the frozen section of the asian market on Campbell, just south of sunshine)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 T coconut oil
- 13 ounce can full fat, organic, coconut milk
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-2 T curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey (adjust up for taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional) or big dash of sriracha
- 1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
- big pinch of sea salt
- 1 T of fish sauce (optional)
- 2 – 14 ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo), drained
- 3 cups sweet potatoes or japanese yams, peeled and chopped
- garnish with cilantro and/or chopped green onions
- Add the coconut oil to a skillet and place over medium heat. Saute the onions, garlic, sweet pepper, and ginger until soft, 4-5 minutes, then remove from heat. Add the sesame oil and lemongrass–stir in well. Place the onion mixture in the blender or food processor, all spices, honey, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and puree until smooth.
- Pour the curry blend into the slow cooker, then add the coconut milk, chickpeas and chopped sweet potato/yam. Mix well. Place the lid on the slow cooker, and turn on high for 5 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Once the sweet potatoes are soft, serve warm over quinoa, millet and/or sauteed spinach.